Thursday, October 1, 2009

Into the projects

Google Analytics indicates a few people are reading this blog. Nice to know it's read by someone. I read somewhere that 95% of all blogs have exactly one reader. I maintain two right now, one for teaching and the other for a hobby project and both are getting up to 10 readers a day.

CSE 473 is into the first project. I always try to mix the projects up; giving something unique each year. I decided to give the first project a theme for each group. The five themes are frogs, rats, locusts, bats, and bees. I think you get the picture. I though I would have all of the models in some model libraries I have, but only found the locust (actually a grasshopper, but we'll just keep that to ourselves). I found a nice frog online that someone had done, but had to buy the other three. Hope students appreciate my spending my own money on these models.

Of course, just buying a model does not mean it's even remotely usable in XNA, particularly if you're doing procedural animation. I figure it averaged around four hours for each model working them into shape. Some of that time was spent writing a nice program to test the models and some was spent trying to get 3DS Max to do something I wanted it to do. It's definitely quirky and I had a lot of problems with crashing on one of the models. But, they are all done and I think they look very cool. The bee is pretty high poly, but the rest are more reasonable. They can probably get away with swarming if they want to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment